Adapted from Tacitus Dē vitā Gnaeī Iūliī Agricolae
hiems cōnsiliīs . Namque ut hominēs dispersī ac eōque in bella facilēs quiētī et per , Agricola illīs persuadēbat , adiuvābat publicē, ut templa fora domōs , , : ita honōris prō necessitāte erat. Iam vērō principum fīliōs līberālibus artibus , et Britannōrum studiīs Gallōrum , ut quī modo linguam Rōmānam , ēloquentiam . Inde etiam habitūs nostrī honor et frequēns toga; paulātimque discēdēbant ad , porticūs et balneās et ēlegantiam. Idque apud hūmānitās , cum pars servitūtis esset.
Operatives, over the last few episodes you have attuned yourself to the third person endings for the imperfect and pluperfect subjunctive. Just like their indicative counterparts, subjunctive verbs also have similar endings for their 1st person and 2nd person endings. Thankfully, these are the familiar personal endings as well. Consider the following:
ambulō, ambulāre, ambulāvī, ambulātus - to walk
|Imperfect Subjunctive||Pluperfect Subjunctive|
|1st Person singular (ego)||ambulārem||ambulāvissem|
|2nd Person singular (tū)||ambulārēs||ambulāvissēs|
|3rd Person singular||ambulāret||ambulāvisset|
|1st Person plural (nōs)||ambulārēmus||ambulāvissē mus|
|2nd Person plural (vōs)||ambulārētis||ambulāvissētis|
|3rd Person plural||ambulārent||ambulāvissent|
Notice the 1st person endings are the familiar -m and -mus while the 2nd person endings are -s and -tis respectively. Operatives should realize that these forms are easily recognizable and should attune themselves accordingly.
CULTURALIA Comprehension Questions
Directions: Using the CULTURALIA section of your CODEX as a guide, answer the following questions:
1. How did Jugurtha rise to power in Numidia?
2. What happened to Jugurtha in the first conflict? What problems with Rome at the time do you think this exposed?
3. Marius was not the first commander in the war. How did he obtain this position? Why is this significant?
4. According to the historian Plutarch, who played a crucial role in capturing Jugurtha? Who was actually rewarded for the deed?
dē Gāiō Mariō
5. Name three notable events in the early life and career of Gaius Marius.
6. Why is Marius' social class noteworthy?
7. What changes did Marius make to the Roman army?
8. What is noteworthy about his consulships from 104 - 100 BCE? What were the implications for Rome?
9. What brought about the civil war with Sulla? What were the consequences for Rome?