multōs post annōs, , dum Brūtus lūdēbat cum aliīs, sagittae occīdit patrem suum nōn volēns, sed nōlēns. et ab Italiā et fuit et vēnit ad īnsulās maris Tyrrēnī. et expulsus est ā Graecīs causā Turnī, quem Aenēās occīderat, et pervēnit ad Gallōs et ibī condidit cīvitātem Turonōrum, quae . et postea ad illam pervēnit īnsulam, quae ā nōmine suō accēpit nōmen, id est Brittanniam et eam suō et habitāvit ibī. ab illō autem diē Brittannia usque in diem.
Aenēās autem rēgnāvit tribus annīs apud Latīnōs. Ascanius regnāvit annīs xxxvii. post quem Silvius Aenēae fīlius rēgnāvit annīs xii, Postumus annīs , ā quō Albānōrum rēgēs Silviī , cuius frāter erat Brittō (aut Brutus). quandō rēgnābat Brittō in Brittanniā, Helī sacerdōs in Israhel et tunc arcam testāmentī possidēbant. Postumus frāter eius apud Latīnōs rēgnābat.
Operatives, in Mission 11, you were introduced to the Genitive case. You'll recall that it was used to show possession and often translated using the word "of."
In Latin, you can also use the genitive when you want to talk about someone or something that is part of a larger group.
ūnus Recentiōrum in lātrīnā est.
One of the Recentiī is in the bathroom.
pars mīlitum ad Campum Martis contendērunt
Part of the soldiers hurried to the Campus Martius.
This is called the Partitive Genitive. You'll notice that "of" still finds its way into the translation.
Directions: Refer back to the key-text in 15.2 to collect the following:
- 6 nouns and 1 adjective in the Genitive case.
- 2 present active participles
- 1 perfect passive participle
- 6 accusative prepostional phrases
- 6 ablative prepositional phrases
- 7 perfect tense verbs
Directions: Answer the following questions in complete sentences based on the immersion for 15.2
1. Why does Brutus say his luck is bad?
2. What does he say he will always know the location of?
3. How big is the ramus that Brutus shows you?
4. What does the ramus do when Brutus shows it off?
5. Who told Brutus to find the ramus? Why did that person say Brutus should do so?
6. According to Septimus, who thinks that the signifer is in Britain?
7. What do the Recentii think that Septimus is thinking to himself?
8. What does Septimus want the Recentii to do? What do they need to find out?
2. postquam expulsus est, quo Brutus iit?
3. cur Brutus cīvitātem Turonōrum condidit?
4. post Silvius regnavit, quis regnabat apud Latinos?
5. quando Britto (Brutus) in Brittania regnabat?